Ahh, an oldie but a goodie. This bowl is a super customizable dinner, which makes it a great way to clean out the fridge – just combine whatever veggies you need to use up with a healthy grain like quinoa, farro, or brown rice, and some chicken sausage!
In this case, I’m making this recipe on purpose (not to use up ingredients), because it comes together so quickly and is super high in protein. This will help with recovery after all the exercise I’ve been getting for Lent! I’m choosing to use mushrooms and bell peppers because when sliced/chopped they have about the same cook time – meaning I can just throw them in one pan with the chicken sausage and call it a day. The quinoa will cook separately, and then everything can be combined at the end. Bonus: the mushrooms and bell peppers will release super flavorful juices while they cook, so no need to make a dressing for the dish!
- 1 pouch quinoa/brown rice mixture (microwavable)
- 1 package Aidell’s Chicken Sausage, sliced (about 6 pieces per sausage)
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms
- 2 bell peppers, roughly chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 T EVOO
- Make sure veggies and sausage are sliced before you start cooking, because once you start everything comes together pretty quickly
- Heat 1 T EVOO in skillet over medium heat.
- Once hot, add mushrooms and bell peppers, sauté until coated – about 1 minute.
- Season with salt and pepper, add sausage.
- Sauté together until sausage is cooked and veggies are tender, about 8 minutes.
- Cook quinoa according to packet instructions (90 seconds)
- While quinoa cooks, add garlic to veggie/sausage mixture and cook until fragrant.
- Add quinoa to skillet and toss to combine.