The weather may not scream “Spring” yet, but I’ve decided to act like it is. Daylight Savings Time has passed, it’s almost St. Patty’s Day, and I’m going to will the weather into being warm. These shrimp tacos are here to help!
As you know, I love doing Taco Tuesday but I’m not huge into just putting taco seasoning on ground beef and calling it a day. I think there are healthier and more flavorful ways to enjoy tacos, and this is one of my favorites. Ben loves mango, so I can usually use that to entice him into eating things he’s not so big on, like cabbage slaw. See, he doesn’t like mayo or vinegar, so it can be a bit difficult. But, meshing a little vinegar with the sweetness of the shrimp and mango makes for a very balanced dish!
- 1 lb shrimp
- 1 t taco seasoning
- S&P to taste
- Pre-made mango salsa (or make your own – pico de gallo + diced mangoes)
- 2 cups shredded red cabbage (shredded carrots also work well)
- 1.5 T EVOO
- 1.5 T rice vinegar
- 1 T Dijon mustard
- 1 t maple syrup
- Corn tortillas
- Whisk together EVOO through maple syrup and toss with shredded cabbage in large bowl. Let sit while you cook the rest of the meal (this will help the cabbage break down slightly and really infuse the flavors)
- Pat shrimp dry and heat large skillet over medium heat.
- Spray skillet with cooking spray and season shrimp with taco seasoning, salt, and pepper.
- Add to skillet and saute until pink/slightly opaque.
- Warm tortillas in microwave between sheets of paper towel (about 15 seconds) – or in dry skillet over medium heat.
- Assemble: Add cabbage to tortillas, then shrimp, then top with salsa.